Gluten Free Bread Stuffing
1⁄4 Cup (1/2 stick) butter ( or an alternative butter MELT, Earth Balance)
2 Cup chopped brown or sweet onions
1 Cup diced celery
1 Cup diced mushrooms (shiitake or brown)
8 Cup gluten free bread cubes (1 loaf =8cups.)* GF Udi’s Whole grain and Rye Style bread, recipe follows
1⁄4 Cup chopped parsley
1⁄2 tsp. Salt
Dash of garlic powder OR 2 freshly minced cloves of garlic
1 tsp. Italian seasonings blend, or ½ tsp. dried marjoram or sage
1⁄4 tsp. ground pepper
1⁄4 Cup chicken stock, or vegetable stock, or water ( if you like it more wet, add a little more liquid)
1 large egg
1 apple, diced and peeled (Peeling is optional) Pink Lady, Honey Crisp, or Fuji
Watch recipe video HERE
1. In a pan melt butter, sauté onions, mushrooms, celery and garlic until tender
2. Remove from heat. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add bread cubes, apple, parsley, salt, and seasonings.
4. Toss onion mixture in with the bread cubes.
5. In a small cup mix the water with the egg, and toss gently with the bread mixture.
6. Place stuffing into a buttered 4 qt. casserole dish or Dutch oven with lid.
7. Dot the top of the stuffing with butter.
8. Bake stuffing at 350 degrees, uncovered for 25-33 minutes or until heated through.
9. Uncover the last 5 minutes to brown the top.
10. Keep covered until ready to serve.
WATCH VIDEO RECIPE HERE:
NOTES: This stuffing recipe is plenty to stuff a 12 lb. turkey with some leftover for baking. If you have vegetarian guests use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
To bake: Place extra stuffing in a butter casserole or Dutch oven pot. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until nicely browned heated through.
We double or triple this recipe depending on size of bird and number of guests.
For a 24 lb. turkey we triple the recipe and have leftover stuffing to fill a 4 qt. Dutch oven. Serves 25-30.
Making gluten free bread cubes for stuffing is EASY!
1 loaf of Udi’s whole grain bread
Cut in ¼” cubes
Start with 3 pieces of bread.
Cut three 1/4 ” slices in one direction and four 1/4 ” slices the next direction.
Place freshly sliced bread cubes onto baking sheet.
Method To drying the bread cubes:
Preheat oven to 350 degree.
Place cubes on baking sheet
Turn oven temperature down to 250 degrees.
Bake at 250 degrees for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Store bread cubes in an air tight glass or zip lock container until ready to use. May be made 3 days ahead.
What to do with your leftover stuffing, IF YOU HAVE ANY? Make stuffing strata! Use your stuffing as the bread slices, mix in spinach, broccoli, left over turkey, sausages, whatever you have. Then add eggs and shredded cheeses. Season with salt, pepper, Mexican spices, green chilies, or Italian spices, peas and sun-dried tomatoes. So many ways to re-purpose your stuffing. Great for your continued holiday family weekend brunch or breakfast for dinner. Full recipe coming soon!