Gluten Free Cherry Muffins. Life IS a bowl of sweet, tart, crunchy, and deliciously nutritious cherries! There’s something wonderful about cherry season! And what better way to celebrate the season by baking these irresistible Gluten Free Cherry Muffins. Cherries are the first stone fruits to hit our farmers’ markets. We dream of all the wonderful treats we can make with these golden gems. And when we aren’t eating them by the handful or adding them to our Cherry Garcia smoothie, we bake with them! Cherries are wonderful made into jam or baked into pies, galettes, breads, cookies, and muffins.
Cherries are a super food, packed with healthy antioxidants and phytonutrients that help strengthen our immune system! They are also loaded with fiber. Do make sure you buy organic cherries tho as they are heavily sprayed with chemical pesticides early in their season. Check out more information about the incredible health benefits of cherries HERE
Here’s an easy fun gadget we love for pitting cherries. You know how Pegs loves her gadgets! Click here to purchase your very own cherry pitter!
Not into cherries and the messiness? Try our strawberry muffins. Or perhaps not a muffin lover? Try our cherry Galette or make an entire cherry pie! Totally yum! The best topping we found was actually a Greek style sheep lemon yogurt at our Farmers Market~ what a great combination and was super satisfying!
We hope you enjoy these wonderful oh so tasty Gluten Free Cherry Muffins! Because, Life IS a bowl of cherries that should be enjoyed!
Gluten Free Cherry Muffins
Ingredients for Gluten Free Cherry Muffins
Makes 8 large or 12 medium muffins
1 stick butter or alternative butter
1/3 Cup + 1Tbsp. organic coconut sugar or brown sugar
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. lemon extract (optional)
1 Cup halved cherries
1 Cup cherries, pitted, cooked down with 1 Tbsp. coconut sugar. Mashed= 1/3 C
1 C gluten free flour
¼ C coconut flour
Pinch of sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
¼ C lemon sheep yogurt (or another variety of lemon Greek yogurt)
Coconut oil for greasing muffin tins
Method for Gluten Free Cherry Muffins
Part 1 Mashed cherries and juice…
In a small saucepan, add the cherries and 1 Tbsp. coconut sugar.
Bring to a boil and immediately turn down heat.
Let simmer covered for 5 -7 minutes until cherries are soft and can be mashed.
Strain the cherries from the juice and set aside. Reserve ¼ -1/3 C. juice and add into batter.
Mash the cherries and set aside.
To skip this, use 1/3 cup cherry preserves.
Part 2 Making the muffins
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all the dry ingredients into a bowl. Stir to mix them. Set aside.
- Cream butter and coconut sugar.
- Add 1 egg
- Add the mashed cherries,( or 1/3 C cherry preserves), vanilla and lemon extracts. Mix well.
- Begin alternating small amounts of the flour mixture then the yogurt.
- End with the yogurt.
- Stir in the remaining halved pitted cherries.
- Grease muffin tins with coconut oil
- Fill each muffin tin 2/3rds full .
- Bake for 18-20 minutes checking at 15 minutes depending on the accuracy of your oven temperature.
- Make cherry glaze if using. Method follows.
- Once the muffins are done cooking immediately drizzle the glaze over them.
- Let cool before removing from tins.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with goat or grass-fed butter or top with lemon sheep yogurt. OH YUM!
Part 3 Making the Cherry Glaze for your Gluten Free Cherry Muffins
- 6 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1/4 C cherry juice ( reserved from mashed cherries)
Whisk both ingredients together until smooth. Drizzle over hot muffins. Cool completely.