Not only are they tasty, Persimmons are an excellent source of beta carotene and lycopene antioxidants which help protect our bodies from free radical damage and certain cancers. They are also are rich sources for vitamin A and C which are both great vitamins that boost our immunity and promote healthy skin. Persimmons contain vitamins B6, manganese and potassium, as well as soluble fiber—which is shown to protect against heart disease and lower blood sugar levels. Persimmons are delicious eaten raw like an apple, or sliced into a salad. Try both varieties found at your local farmer markets and grocers.
The Fuyu variety can be eaten whole. It’s firm and crisp like an apple. However some people get a strange sensation when eating the skin. Pegs personally peels hers for that reason. We love freezing them to extend their season. Persimmons are perfect to use in smoothies, tossed into salads or sliced as a snack paired with cinnamon and walnuts. Yum!
The Hachiya variety is larger and more pear shaped. These persimmons need to fully ripen before eating. And by ripe we mean super soft as if you would consider throwing them away. That is when this variety is perfect! Hachiya persimmons are best used in smoothies, puddings or baking. A must try is our Persimmon Date Nut Loaf! This loaf seriously gets better with age, if it lasts that long.
Watch our recipe video below and learn how to make this very decadent dessert like breakfast or anytime smoothie.
Persimmon Pumpkin Spice Smoothie Ingredients:
- 1-2 small persimmon skinned and diced
- ½ ripe banana (or ¼ avocado)
- 1 C hazelnut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 C coconut water
- 1 tbsp unrefined coconut butter/manna, or coconut oil
- 2-3 dates (or a tsp on raw honey)
- 1 tsp Spice Hunter’s Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla or a scoop of your favorite vanilla flavored protein powder
Persimmon Pumpkin Spice Smoothie Method:
- Add all ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth and creamy. About 1 minute.
- If not cold enough for you, add a few ice cubes and blend a little more.
- Watch recipe video HERE