Coconut Macaroonshttps://www.currygirlskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/IMG_4971-1024x719.jpg 1024 719 Curry Girls Kitchen Curry Girls Kitchen https://www.currygirlskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/IMG_4971-1024x719.jpg
Coconut Macaroons are a crunchy flavorful coco-nutty treat that has always been a delicious gluten free dessert in our family. Perfect for any holiday or really any time of the year~ these quick and easy to make 5 ingredient cookie is wonderful and plentiful!
Coconut is considered a beneficial fat. Another great benefit from adding coconut to your diet is that 1-cup serving of coconut shreds provide 4 grams of dietary fiber! We do have a preference however when it comes to eating shredded vs. flaked coconut. We found the fine shreds to have a bit of a soapy taste and the flaked do not. Anyone else find that to be true?
It took Peg’s three different recipe versions until she found the right combination to make these Le Pain Quotidien inspired macaroons. We think you will truly enjoy them.
Watch our recipe video below and keep scrolling down for the full recipe and recipe variations.
Coconut Macaroon Ingredients
Makes about 20 depending on size you make them…
6 Cups (14 oz) unsweetened organic coconut flakes (NOT shreds*)
¾ C sweetened condensed milk (coconut or cow)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 egg whites (from extra-large eggs) ¼ Cup egg whites
¼ tsp. sea salt
Dark chocolate for dipping
Extra variation ingredients: mini chocolate chips to stir into batter, butterscotch, white chocolate or peanut butter chips for melting and dipping
Method for Making Coconut Macaroons
Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and spread the coconut evenly over the top.
- Toast it in the oven for about 3-5 minutes, until nicely brown. WATCH CAREFULLY once it starts to brown, they brown fast.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks. Takes 1 minute.
- In a large bowl add ¾ C coconut or regular sweetened condensed milk, the cooled coconut flakes and vanilla.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
- Use a small ice cream scoop or form with wetted hands the macaroons. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and serve.
- For chocolate dipping: Start with cooled macaroons and melted chocolate.
- Set up a dipping station with parchment lined cookie sheet, bowl of melted dark or milk chocolate chips.
- Dip each macaroon top into the chocolate, either by holding the top and partially submerging it, or drizzle the chocolate on the top using a fork.
- Place finished macaroons on the parchment to set in a cool dry place or refrigerate 10 minutes or longer until chocolate has hardened.
- Store in an airtight container. We love them kept in the refrigerator as they stay crisp on the outside and moist on the inside.
Great to give for holiday gift in a cute basket filled with your beautifully decorated macaroons.
Another coconut macaroon version is one made without the sweetened condensed milk. Below is the recipe for these macaroons.
You might wonder why they are darker then the ones above~ it’s because we used coconut sugar which made them slightly darker.
Makes 12 cookies
3 Egg whites
1 C Coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 C Coconut flakes
2 Tbs coconut flour
Enjoy Life dark chocolate mini chips for inside
Enjoy Life dark chocolate chunks melted for dipping
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
Combine egg whites and coconut sugar in a glass mixing bowl. Heat the mixture over a pan of simmering water, stirring continuously, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, add the vanilla and set aside.
In a medium bowl mix together the coconut flakes and coconut flour. Fold egg mixture into dry. Mixture should be wet but not runny. If runny add a little more coconut flakes or flour. Add mini chocolate chips if using.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Shape the cookies into balls, cones or flat cookies. Have fun being creative!
Bake for 15-18 minutes until browned. Depending on heat of your oven. Center should be moist.
Melt the chocolate chunks. Dip cookies, or drizzle chocolate onto cookies and place onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Once chocolate hardens, cookies are ready!