Our Garlic Roasted Cauliflower and Summer Squash is an easy and delicious way to get more veggies into your routine! We use nutrient-packed cauliflower and colorful summer squash for this recipe, but you can use any combination of veggies you like, all you need is a drizzle of olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper.
Making Garlic Roasted Cauliflower and Summer Squash…
Scroll down for the full recipe or watch our recipe video here!
Cauliflower is often overshadowed by its green cousin broccoli, but is a wonderful superfood that definitely deserves regular rotation in your diet! It is cancer-fighting, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant rich, and full of vitamins and minerals. One serving of cauliflower has 77% of the daily recommended value of vitamin c, as well as an impressive amount of vitamin K, protein, thiamin, magnesium, fiber, vitamin B6, and potassium.
Summer Squash also packs a serious punch with a host of amazing benefits. It is high in vitamins A, B6, and C, has anti-inflammatory properties that can improve heart health and certain varieties are even said to reduce insomnia symptoms!
With this Roasted Cauliflower and Summer Squash recipe, you can be sure you’re making something that is not only super tasty but super great for you as well!
This recipe is incredibly simple to make, but we do have a few tips:
- When picking your cauliflower, make sure the heads are firm and compact! Any softness means the start of spoilage. Also, make sure to avoid cauliflower with any brown discoloration.
- When picking your summer squash, here are a few things to remember: larger zucchini tend to be watery and lack flavor. Smaller is better. Color equals flavor! Always look for squash with vibrant, rich skin. Lastly, try to find squash that still has a good amount of stem, those will last longer.
- Store your summer squash in the fridge in a paper bag, plastic can trap too much moisture and make them slimy.
- Use a variety of cauliflower and summer squash for a medley of color and flavor.
- Don’t use too much oil when preparing veggies for roasting, just a nice drizzling will do!
Garlic Roasted Cauliflower and Summer Squash Recipe
- 2-3 summer squashes: Zucchini, Crookneck, or Pattypan
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- Celtic sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- (optional) Fresh oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage or a combination.
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut squash into cubes approximately the same size. Cut cauliflower into about the same size as squash.
Place squash, cauliflower, and minced garlic in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
Toss well and sprinkle with sea salt and fresh pepper. If using, also add fresh herbs.
Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread vegetables evenly in a single layer on sheet. Do not stack. You may need two sheets. Place vegetables in oven.
Turn oven temperature down to 325- 350 degrees, and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until nicely browned and fork tender.
We bake these for a little over an hour for optimal doneness and flavor, but if you want them sooner, leave oven temperature at 400 degrees and cook vegetables for about 45 minutes.
You can add the finished product to pasta, salads, veggie bowls, serve as a side dish, as stuffing, as the main dish with a yummy pilaf, or eat right off the tray! You can even puree and add stock to make a delicious soup!
If you gave this recipe a try, let us know how you served it in the comments! And if you loved it as much as we do, we think you’ll love our roasted broccoflower and squash recipe or our creamy cauliflower and parsnip mashed potatoes just as much!